Greens with Horseradish-Creme Fraiche dressing
I don't tend to have flaxseeds or amaranth around, so I just leave them out. Use em' if you got em' I suppose :) Also, we just use whatever greens we have around (usually kale or collards), but the more bitter (radicchio, escarole, endive) or spicy (mesclun mix) the better.
- 4 teaspoons golden and/or brown flaxseeds
- 1 tablespoon amaranth
- 3 tablespoons crème fraîche
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated horseradish or
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
- 1 tablespoon Champagne vinegar or white wine vinegar
- Kosher salt, freshly ground pepper
- Radish flowers or sprouts (optional)
- 8 cups young bitter greens (such as watercress or miner's lettuce)
Toast flaxseeds in a large dry skillet over medium heat, tossing often, until fragrant, about 2 minutes; transfer to a small bowl. Toast amaranth in same skillet until fragrant, about 2 minutes; add to flaxseeds and let cool.
Whisk crème fraîche, horseradish, and vinegar in a large bowl. Thin with water, if needed; season with salt and pepper. Add greens and flowers, if using, and toss to coat. Serve topped with flaxseeds and amaranth.
Recipe from Bon Appetit September 2013